HOME > LEARN FRENCH > GROUP CLASSES > B1 LEVEL CLASSES
B1 LEVEL CLASSES
A perfect start in your French journey.
Level B1-1 Classes
You have an absolute beginner level of B1-1 if:
- You took high school French… but you forgot everything.
- You can say “Je m’appelle…”, but that’s about it!
- You have no idea when to use le, la, or les.
- You’ve spent some time in a French-speaking country but never managed to pick up more than a couple of words.
- – Or –
- Maybe you live or work with a French speaker, and you’re dying to know what they’re saying!
Level B1-2 Classes
You have a beginner level of B1-2 if:
- You can introduce yourself in French, talk about your job and hobbies – even if you sometimes have to rely on the kindness (and patience) of strangers to make yourself understood.
- You can conjugate regular verbs in the present tense. You can also conjugate common irregular verbs, such as être, avoir, faire and aller.
- You know how to get articles and adjectives to agree with their nouns (for the most part).
- You know how to construct a basic sentence in French (subject, verb, object, etc).
Level B1-3 Classes
You have a beginner level of B1-3 if:
- You can say “I want some milk”, “I never get up early,” and “Do you like pizza?”
- You have a handle on present tense conjugation, and you’re ready to take on the past tenses.
Level B1-4 Classes
You have a B1-4 level if:
- You can introduce yourself, tell your French friends about your last trip and express, in a simple way, your opinion and emotions.
- You know the past tenses (passé composé, imparfait and plus-que-parfait) even though you still have some difficulties to use them with a natural flow.
- You have heard about the subjonctif présent and start to use it (with “Il faut que” or “Il est important que”, for example).
- You can understand simple but authentic audios in French.
- You can write a letter to a friend or a short argument text.
- Most important of all, you can’t wait to improve your level and discover more and more about France!
“An absolutely amazing school, wonderful teachers and a great way to learn! I wanted to improve my French so I could speak more easily with my new French in-laws, so I signed up for an introductory course. My French teacher is delightful and obviously has such an amazing passion for teaching, it makes the lessons really engaging. She goes above and beyond, sharing contemporary French events, history, art and culture throughout the week, not just while we’re in class – it really makes you enjoy your journey with the language.”
“Wanted to find an easy going but effective french program to eventually pass my french citizen test one day. I started at A2.1 level and working my up to B1. Having the same (amazing) teacher every class really helps, and progressing with the same students has been very fun. Would highly recommend The French Learning Institute to anyone looking to improve their French.”
“After learning basic French in school 8 years ago, I began at the French Learning Institute to re-learn the basics and improve my conversational skills. I studied with the Institute online and couldn’t be happier with the outcome. The teachers took the time to assess my current French level and catered the course towards me to ensure that I received the best education. Studying online was just as good, if not better, than learning face-to-face, and every lesson ran incredibly smoothly. I could not recommend The French Learning Institute enough – best decision I made!”
I started private tuition which has been incredibly helpful, since the programme is tailored to my level and interests. I would highly recommend this pathway for anyone looking to specialise in one area or speed up their learning experience.